In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Skowhegan Free Public Library

Anidrosis Sanatorium, Skowhegan, ca. 1885

Contributed by Skowhegan History House
MMN Item 36017 Item Details
Anidrosis Sanatorium, Skowhegan, ca. 1885
MMN Item 36017 Zoom

Description

The Anadrosis Sanatorium was operated by "Dr." Conant, who treated patients with a sauna-bath treatment. R.T. Patten's description goes far afield here but is interesting nonetheless.

"Dwelling which shows through elm trees toward left is the old Parlin place, now owned by the American Woolen Company, and occupied by its agent, Thomas E. Greenway. Farther to the right is the Skowhegan Public Library, and to the right of the sanatorium is a very good view of Hotel Coburn. The dwelling still farther to the right, somewhat in the shade of the elm trees, is the old Farwell place.

"Charles Farrar Brown, who became famous as a humorist, under the name of Artemus Ward, once boarded there. The logs piled along the river bank are to supply the pulp mill which is beyond the right hand margin of the picture. The boiler house of that enterprise shows, however, and rising across it diagonally is the log or runway up which the sticks of timber were hauled."

~ Roland T. Patten Custodian of Historical Views, 1929"

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.