In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Skowhegan Free Public Library

Skowhegan Free Public Library and Elm Street, ca. 1940

Contributed by Skowhegan History House
MMN Item 21618 Item Details
Skowhegan Free Public Library and Elm Street, ca. 1940
MMN Item 21618 Zoom

Description

The Skowhegan Free Public Library was opened in May of 1890. Former Maine Governor Abner Coburn provided funds for its construction in his will. The town of Skowhegan provided the money for the War Memorial Room, a tribute to the sacrifice of Skowhegan soldiers during the "War of the Rebellion" 1861-1865. Under "project 2012" the old library is being carefully updated to increase access and safety while maintaining the historic character of the building. Down Elm Street in the photo is the "Parlin Mansion" which overlooks the Kennebec River. On the left side of Elm Street is the Somerset Hospital.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.