In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Skowhegan Free Public Library

Artist's rendition of Skowhegan Free Public Library

Contributed by Skowhegan Public Library
MMN Item 20443 Item Details
Artist's rendition of Skowhegan Free Public Library
MMN Item 20443 Zoom

Description

Milton Christianson painted the watercolor image of the Skowhegan Free Public Library that appears on this postcard. The library was built in 1889 and the architect was E.E. Lewis of Gardiner.

The outside appearance of the red brick library building on Elm Street has remained virtually unchanged since 1889. Composed of a combination of octagonal towers and gables, it looks out upon the Kennebec River.

Above the entrance is an inscribed panel flanked by an urn and open book, signifying the library as a container of knowledge. On the upper left front is a semi-circle section of terra cotta blocks which contain the badges and shields of the Grand Army of the Republic, the Army Corps, and various veterans organizations. The building is included in the National Register of Historic Buildings.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.